Playing March 30 through April 1, 2008
SF Theatrical Premiere!
Daughters of Wisdom
Bari Pearlman US/Tibet 2007
In Tibet today, roughly 15% of the people live in urban centers, where the ongoing struggle for Tibet’s future is taking place. But the other 85% of Tibetans live in rural areas as subsistence farmers and nomadic herding families engaged in the daily struggle to eat and survive. Daughters Of Wisdom is a story of these people, an experiential and transporting view of contemporary Tibet seen through the eyes of some of its most extraordinary women, the nuns of Kala Rongo Monastery of Nangchen, Kham. Founded in 1990, the Kala Rongo Monastery is granting women choices they’ve never had before and changing outmoded attitudes that no longer serve the greater good of the community. Through the pragmatic vision of their benefactor, Lama Norlha Rinpoche, nearly 300 nuns are now receiving religious and educational training previously unavailable to them. They are being given a real opportunity to change the course of their lives, and to preserve the rich spiritual heritage of their people, even as they slowly reshape it. Director Bari Pearlman in person! (subtitled; 68m)

  Showtimes Links
  Sun: 2:00, 4:00, 7:15, 9:15
Mon & Tues: 7:15, 9:15
Official Site
Internet Movie Database

  
Red Vic Movie House 1727 Haight Street San Francisco, CA 94117
Home  Calendar  About  Subscribe  Directions/Ticket Info  Contact us
Please email us with your questions or comments about the web site.